- Nationally, there’s American Red Cross; donate at redcross.org; or, text RedCross to 90999 to give $10 to disaster relief; you can also volunteer to help
- Feeding America has thousands of pounds of emergency food, water and supplies throughout the disaster zone. To donate, go to feedingamerica.org
- Save the Children is also working to provide relief to families and their children. Visit savethechildren.org to donate
- Two-time guest Craig Newmark, founder of Craigslist and CraigConnects is matching donations up to $25,000 for Sandy victims. crowdrise.com/sandyrelief
- In NY, hundreds of blood drives were cancelled because of the hurricane. Now we need blood. If you want to donate blood go to www.nybloodcenter.org
- For tekkies in NY, NY Tech Meetup and New WORK City are organizing volunteers with technology skills to help with relief efforts and help New York-area businesses and organizations get their technology back up and running. Go to bit.ly/hurricanetechvolunteers
I know Craig has already passed $25,000. People can still donate.
Update: Nov. 4 at 5:30pm
The NYCC Downtown Brooklyn office will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day and is in urgent need of donated supplies, which can be dropped off at their conveniently-located office. They’re also accepting volunteers—especially those with vehicles who can help deliver aid. Have questions? Email Info at nycommunities dot org or call (347) 410-6919 extension 286. Their address is 2-4 Nevins St, 2nd Fl Brooklyn, NY 11217.
Here is a list of supplies needed:
- Non-perishable food
- Bottled water
- Baby food
- Baby blankets
- Batteries of all sizes, but especially D and AA
Make the Road — If you can make it to Staten Island, Make the Road needs supplies to distribute there, especially non-perishable food and warm clothes and blankets. Their Staten Island office is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 479 Port Richmond Avenue, Staten Island, NY, 10302. For more information, email Daniel.Coates at maketheroadny dot org or call (718) 727-1222 extension 3445.
Update: Nov. 11, at 2:50am
You can text a $10 donation to the following charities:
- American Red Cross: Text REDCROSS to 90999
- United Way Hurricane Sandy Recovery Fund: Text RECOVERY to 52000
- Food Bank for New York: Text FBNYC to 50555
- New Jersey Community Good Bank: Text FEEDNJ to 80888
- New York Cares: Text iCARE to 8594
We’ll add more resources as we learn of them. Also, please feel free to leave links to resources in the comment section below.