The 2nd annual national day of giving—#GivingTuesday—was December 3 in the U.S. The purpose is to refocus the country on giving after Thanksgiving, which is followed by consumption on Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. (No corporate interest has claimed Sunday. I predict a religious or atheist group will.)
Giving Tuesday was a big success. Many thousands of charities were in, as well as cities, countries and the White House.
Here’s my round-up of round-ups. A content carnival for Giving Tuesday.
Results & Partners
- Chronicle of Philanthropy highlights and charity examples
- 90% spike in giving, from The Huffington Post
- Obama administration blogged it
- Bmore Gives More: Baltimore rocks Giving Tuesday, exceeding $5 million goal
- Australia checks in
- Top 10 moments, from Giving Tuesday co-founder, the United Nations Foundation
Why So Successful
- Attribute the success to connected learning and community, from Beth Kanter
- Skeptical interview by Forbes with Blackbaud’s Steve MacLaughlin, director of their Idea Lab
- Consultant Pamela Grow is on-the-fence about Giving Tuesday
Don’t Do It
- AVOID Giving Tuesday “like the plague,” says Joe Garecht, the Fundraising Authority
Back to Basics
- Need Giving Tuesday 101? We covered it on Nonprofit Radio
Whose coverage of Giving Tuesday caught your eye?